When Not Driving Is Not An Option, Call Us

When You Need To Show You’re Not A California Resident

For driver’s license cases, show that you are registered to vote in another state, that you pay nonresident college tuition in California (or resident tuition somewhere else), a homeowner’s property tax exemption, anything that tends to show your presence in California is temporary, or anything that shows a permanent presence someplace else. For vehicle registration cases, in addition to all the things mentioned above, you can show your out-of-state driver’s license, place of employment, where your children go to school, place you rent a residence or anything that shows a permanent presence someplace else.

Solve your DMV problems with the help of an experienced lawyer at the Law Office of Rodney Gould in Sherman Oaks. Call Beat DMV at 818-570-6989 or email us to request a consultation.

The Fine Print

If you stay in California for six months out of any 12-month period, DMV will presume under Section 516 that you are a California resident. It is a rebuttable presumption, though, and the Vehicle Code lists several things you can show to beat DMV. Section 516 provides an illustrative list of evidence geared toward vehicle registration cases; Section 12505 provides a list geared to driver’s license cases. Both sections contain a catch-all that allows you to introduce “other acts, occurrences or events” that indicate residence.


VC 516, VC 12505